[darcs-users] gitit disabled for now

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:23:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I've received word of recent and serious IO issues on the darcs.net VM
>> from osuosl today.
>>
>> I get the impression that this is due to gitit and have disabled it
>> until we can solve the performance problems.
>
> Have the problems disappears since you made this change?
>
>> We'll probably have to continue our performance testing on a separate
>> machine for the time being.
>
> What can we do to isolate the fault?
>
>> Since this leaves us without a working wiki, I plan to unblock the old
>> Moin wiki just so we have something working.
>
> Since we already need to merge any post 2009-03 changes from the
> moinmoin wiki, I'm OK with that.  I just hope it won't be for long!

The current state of optimizing is:

John has committed changes to gitit HEAD that removes one of the two callers of 'darcs changes'; the second is the caching system, which I'm still thinking about (it may be sensible to modify filestore to allow queries for 'last changed', or it might be better just to support disabling caching altogether).

Eric has been working on a --max-count feature at http://code.haskell.org/darcs/sprint-2009-04/max-count But looking at the performance of it, it doesn't seem to fix the issue (and it may result in some odd page-loading bugs as-is, although because the performance isn't many times better I haven't bothered to track them down).

--
gwern