[darcs-users] Problems with reST + Gitit

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 09:34:36 UTC 2009

Daniel Carrera wrote:
>>> I use tables in the patch theory section for navigation ('Prev', 'Up'
>>> and 'Next' links) and for presentation (e.g. showing a patch on the
>>> left and its effect on the right, or showing a patch on the left, and
>>> its inverse on the right).
>>
>> With respect, it sounds like you're obsessing about the presentation of
>> the document.  That's not the author's job, it's the typesetter's job.
>
> Presentation is not an unimportant thing that you can just forget about
> and just let the broken type-setter do what it will. As an experienced
> math teacher and an experienced technical writer, I know that how you
> present a concept (even graphically) can make a big difference to how
> quickly the audience picks up the concept. I have learned similar things
> when I studied UI design and so on. Some UI layouts can make a concept
> feel more natural to the reader and can often be more effective than a
> lengthy explanation.

At this point it might be helpful to remind the reader that not
everybody would agree on whether putting a patch on the left and its
result on the right constitutes "presentation". For example, you
wouldn't expect LaTeX to put the patch on the left and the result on the
right unless you used a table.

Daniel.