[darcs-users] gitit disabled for now

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 04:11:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Thomas Hartman  wrote:
> I'm wondering if the issues with gitit have to do with gitit calling darcs
> changes and that hanging on the back end.
>
> I noted darcs changes hangs, recently, here:
>
> http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-April/019313.html
>
> What gitit (and patch-tag) really needs is better darcs changes performance,
> I think, for history browsing.
>
> thomas.

There is something odd about darcs changes.

gitit at darcs:~/DarcsWiki$ time darcs changes --xml-output Talks.page > /dev/null
real	0m31.731s
user	0m1.920s
sys	0m0.620s
gitit at darcs:~/DarcsWiki$ time darcs changes --xml-output Talks.page > /dev/null
real	0m2.331s
user	0m1.884s
sys	0m0.360s

gitit at darcs:~/DarcsWiki$ time darcs changes --xml-output > /dev/null
real	0m1.968s
user	0m1.876s
sys	0m0.076s
gitit at darcs:~/DarcsWiki$ time darcs changes  > /dev/null
real	0m1.504s
user	0m1.436s
sys	0m0.056s

Why is changes on a file so drastically slow sometimes? Why is it
slower to ask for changes about a particular file than for every
change?

(If this is a consistent problem, it may be faster for me to have
filestore call changes without any arguments and parse the output of
that!)

Here's some more mystifying output:

gitit at darcs:~/DarcsWiki$ for file in *; do time darcs changes
- --xml-output $file > /dev/null;done

real	0m2.330s
user	0m1.948s
sys	0m0.360s

real	0m3.269s
user	0m2.540s
sys	0m0.524s

real	0m1.848s
user	0m1.548s
sys	0m0.284s

real	0m18.052s
user	0m2.284s
sys	0m0.436s

What is this? Darcs is cached, presumably much of the repo is cached
and available. What could lead to a difference of 16 seconds or more
than 8x?

Is this an issue with test.darcs.net itself or what?

- --
gwern