[darcs-users] CSS change

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 00:08:10 UTC 2009

Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at gmail.com> writes:

> Gwern Branwen wrote:
>> That red is, um, a bit vivid. And I'm not sure how well it goes with
>> the syntax highlighting.

For CSS, I generally prefer to have a slightly off-colour (say, #eee)
background and a slightly darker 1px border (say, #ddd) around block
literals (PRE), and just rely on font change to make inline literals
(CODE) stand out.

BTW, ISTR the W3 advocates that any time the background or foreground
colour is set, BOTH should be set.

> How do you get the syntax highlighting? On my computer the code
> samples are all pure black.

You need to build with kate-highlighting enabled.  IIRC, it's the
default.  The code blocks need to declare themselves to be of a
particular language, too.  There is a non-standard extension to reST
that trac (and others?) have adopted to do this.

"Vanilla" reST provides no way to do it, because David isn't happy with
adding a feature that is currently only supported for the HTML target --
it makes the other targets "second-class".