[darcs-users] "Static Gitit" site.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Mon Apr 20 09:39:26 UTC 2009

Hi all,

1) With Gwern's help, I have written a script that lets me make a static
copy of a Gitit website easily. You can see its output here:

http://darcs.daniel.carrera.bz/

2) Though you can't see it, the site now uses reST for everything except
the tables, thanks to Nicolas showing me how to do superscripts and
subscripts in reST.

3) New pages:
- Patch Theory/Merge Conflicts  (incomplete)
- Patch Theory/Appendix A
- Support

4) I replaced the 'Getting Started' and 'Migration' links with a single
link to the Darcs manual.

Proposal:
---------
Given the performance and IO problems we've experienced with gitit, I
propose that we use a "static gitit" page such as the one produced by my
script. This would allow us to move forward and make progress until the
issues with gitit are resolved.

In making the static site, I would remove all the links to wiki
features, like View, Edit, Discuss, Login, Delete, etc. The search box
could just point to Google.

PROS: A static site will solve the speed and IO issues. It allows us to
make progress now. We are not stuck.

CONS: You can't edit the site instantly from your browser. You have to
use darcs, send patches, and every once in a while a responsible person
makes a new static site.

Cheers,
Daniel.