[darcs-users] darcs changes src/not/a/rea/dir/realfile gives errorneous output

Benedikt Schmidt beschmi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:24:18 UTC 2009

Hello Thomas,

Thomas Hartman wrote:
> In the head darcs repo:
>
> thartman at ubuntu:~/haskellInstalls/darcs.net <http://darcs.net>>darcs
> changes src/not/a/dir/Add.lhs --summary --xml-output
> <changelog>
> <patch author='Eric Kow &lt;eric.kow at loria.fr
> <mailto:lt%3Beric.kow at loria.fr>&gt;' date='20070313194050'
> local_date='Tue Mar 13 14:40:50 CDT 2007' inverted='False'
> hash='20070313194050-26b1f-3a67b7a561f77f85b7ac6512f24f2b8fec81e544.gz'>
>     <name>Add subdirectories for source files.</name>
>     <summary>
>     <add_directory>
>     src
>     </add_directory>
>     <add_directory>
>     src/Darcs
>     </add_directory>
>     <add_directory>
>     src/Darcs/Commands
>     </add_directory>
>     <add_directory>
>     src/Darcs/Patch
>     </add_directory>
>     <add_directory>
>     src/Darcs/Repository
>     </add_directory>
>     </summary>
> </patch>
> </changelog>
>
> This looks like an error to me. Add a bug to the tracker?

yes, it's a bug. You get similar output with
darcs changes src/DOESNOTEXIST --summary --xml-output.

Every change to one of the parent directories is
considered a modification of the file at the moment,
even if the filename given is not tracked by darcs.

Of course this would be easy to fix for the given
invocation (just check the pristine directory).
If the to-patch option is also given it's not that
easy since to find out if src/DOESNOTEXIST existed
in the repo at the given point in the history.
This info will be stored in the filecache, so the
bug will be hopefully fixed sooner or later.

Best,
   Benedikt