[darcs-users] "Static Gitit" site.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Tue Apr 21 20:03:33 UTC 2009

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> There are advantages to it, though. We gain the possibility of people
> using gitit on top of a darcs repo of articles and codes - and now
> they have a distributed bug tracker, and distributed doc revision.

All you have done here is mix together permissions that shouldn't be.
Write access to the wiki should not be equivalent to write access to the
source tree.

> Or maybe they do something like set up a repo with web access, and now
> everyone can edit the source files and improve the haddocks, and
> occasionally the maintainer pushes the good documentation fixes to the
> canonical website.

You hardly need a VCS to make a second wiki with freer access and push
changes to the canonical site. What gitit buys you is giving people the
ability to make a local copy of gitit and 'darcs send'. This is
valuable, but let's not exaggerate the benefits by adding fictional
ones. The benefit of being able to pull the entire wiki and send a patch
to the list is enough to argue that using darcs as the wiki backend has
advantages.

Notice that in my email I didn't say that there weren't advantages (I
didn't touch on that issue). I simply said that I've seen other
established projects struggle with the same speed issue for years. That
suggests that the speed issue doesn't have a straight forward solution.

Daniel.