[darcs-users] DRAFT: HCAR report for darcs 2009-05

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 02:19:37 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

>> Meanwhile, we have been continuing to work creating a more stable
>> environment for darcs development.  Our recent successes have been in
>> fundraising, joining the Software Freedom Conservancy and being awarded
>> a Google Summer of Code project.
>
> Note that this report mentions our joining the SFC, which has not yet
> happened, but which I believe will happen by the time this report is
> published.

Can you say just that, without an undesirable increase in verbosity?
Something like

    "At the time of writing, we have nearly joined the SFC.  This is
    expected to be complete by the time of publication."

>> \begin{enumerate}
>> \item Fundraising: In a recent fundraising drive, we managed to raise
>>       over \$1072 to help pay for travel to the our second darcs

It sounds a bit weird to say "over <exact number>".  I would either put

    "we managed to raise over a thousand dollars"

or

    "we managed to raise $1,072"

with a preference for the former.  Also, you haven't specified which
currency :-)

>>       hacking sprint, held as part of the Haskell Hackathon.  This
>>       allowed us to send three darcs developers to Utrecht, with a

This could be misread as implying there were only three Darcs hackers at
Utrecht.  I think there were more, right?  I'd say something like

    "We subsidized travel costs to the Utrecht sprint for three of the
    participating Darcs hackers, and we have some left over for the next
    sprint."

>>       storage repositories, making it easier for darcs to scale up to
>>       larger repositories.

    Suggest simply "making Darcs faster and more scalable".

>> Haskell hackers, we need your help! [...]
>> \FurtherReading
>> \url{http://darcs.net}

You might also want to link to the list of NeedVolunteer,ProbablyEasy
BTS tickets, or to wiki pages about getting involved.  I'm sure there is
lots of Darcs work that could be done by people who know Haskell, but
not Darcs' codebase -- and maybe these people don't realize it, scared
off by talk of patch theory.