[darcs-users] Website - New Revision

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Thu Apr 23 22:05:25 UTC 2009

Dan Pascu wrote:
> Flexible
> Distributed
> Human Friendly
> Reliable
> Easy
>
> This makes it sound like the patch reordering capability is responsible
> and its the foundation for all these features, which is not true.

There will inevitably be some simplification on the front page, but
patch reordering *is* largely responsible for most of those features.
The way Darcs achieves this features is to a very large extent centred
around the theory of patches, and "patch reordering" is just a
simplified term for patch theory. Therefore, considering the limited
space, what the front page says is actually surprisingly accurate.

> I ended up in a page where I could find some detailed information on the
> subject, but by doing this I failed to read the short description on
> darcs from the first page and I found myself deepening into some fairly
> advanced notions about patch commutation without having a clue if I'm
> interested in what darcs has to offer or not.

I don't think that the contents of the patch reordering page are at all
advanced. The advanced stuff is reasonably hidden, and if you do hit the
patch theory section there are enough "warnings" that the information
there is not needed to use darcs.

I have tested this front page with a user who honestly doesn't know
about Darcs. The feedback from this informal usability test was quite
positive.

In any case, I can't afford to have another bike shed discussion about
the front page. I have a lot of work to do, and the website revision has
already taken a significant amount of my time.

Daniel.