[darcs-users] Website - New Revision

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Apr 23 22:42:39 UTC 2009

On Friday 24 April 2009, Jason Dagit wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Dan Pascu <dan at ag-projects.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 17 April 2009, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I finished another round of changes, which includes the migration to
> >> reST + HTML. In light of the fact that the wiki is off-line, I have
> >> made a static-HTML mockup so at least there is something for you to
> >> look at:
> >>
> >> http://darcs.daniel.carrera.bz/
> >
> > The first sentence on that page reads:
> >
> > <quote>
> > Darcs is a free, open source, source control manager (SCM). Darcs
> > stands out for its ability to reorder patches in a repository. This
> > gives darcs several valuable features:
> > </quote>
> >
> > after which you list a number of features, each with a short
> >
> > Flexible
> > Distributed
> > Human Friendly
> > Reliable
> > Easy
> >
> > This makes it sound like the patch reordering capability is
> > responsible and its the foundation for all these features, which is
> > not true.
>
> I basically agree with your feedback, but I do wonder about the above
> sentence.  If it's not darcs's ability to reorder patches that forms
> the foundation for all those features, then what would you attribute
> those features to?

What I meant is that patch reordering is not the base for all those
features, but the wording makes it look like it is.

I do not think that easy to use is a result of patch reordering (it's a
result of a well designed user interface). Same for distributed. Patch
reordering is not what makes darcs distributed.

--
Dan