[darcs-users] darcs patch: shorten comment (and 1 more)

Benedikt Schmidt beschmi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:43:38 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Benedikt Schmidt <beschmi at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The first patch shortens the recently added comment [...]
>> The second patch is a performance optimization to speed up [...]
>
> I recommend avoiding sending two patches like this in the same bundle.
> The problem is that the first patch is insignificant, but the second one
> is important.  Because the first one is the one listed in the Subject,
> it means the important patch can be missed by readers.
>
> To work around this, what I do is either send the patches separately, or
> use amend-record --edit (without changing the comment or the hunk) to
> update the timestamp on the trivial patch, which means that the Subject
> field is set from the important patch.

Thanks, didn't think about that trick. Sending separately would have
been the right thing to do here though. Especially since I can resend
new versions independently then.

It would also be nice if darcs send --edit-description gave you the
chance to edit some of the mail headers to allow changing the subject
or adding references.

Best,
   Benedikt