[darcs-users] Website - New Revision

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Apr 24 09:16:38 UTC 2009

Hi Dan, Daniel,

Dan: good comments

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:39:20 +0200, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> At some point one has to draw the line and say that work needs to be
> directed toward the pages  that haven't received any attention and may
> not even be written yet.

I agree with Daniel on this one.

I like Dan's comments; however, in the bigger picture, I think it's time
time for a break working on this part of the site.  It's not that there
isn't any room for improvement.  Writing is a long hard slog, iteration
upon iteration upon iteration if we want to do a good job.  But
(personally), if I go through too many iterations on the same topic in
one go, I can get a little crazy :-).  Anyway, it's important to defocus
from time to time so that you can come back later with a fresh
perspective.  So let's look at other parts of the page.

> This is not because I only listen to people who agree with me. I spent
> two weeks listening to people who do not agree with me and making
> changes as a result.

Daniel: you've taking in feedback (sometimes mutually contradictory)
from lots of different places and worked very hard at incorporating it
into your work, thanks!

I love email, but I find it difficult to work with, because it's very
easy to accidentally convey something you didn't mean, for example to
look irritated or aggravated.  You all know the drill: receivers try to
see things in the most positive light or avoid reading into things; and
senders try to minimise the misinterpretations footprint.  I wish I knew
how to do that kind of stuff, but I suspect it involves a lot of
pruning. :-)

> This is a general problem with any "soft" topic like the website,
> marketing, documentation, etc. Everyone has an opinion, and you'll never
> get everyone to agree. The person working on this has the difficult task
> of balancing between listening to other members and having a never
> ending bike shed discussion. No matter where you draw the line, someone
> will be upset. Unless you never draw the line, in which case you never
> get past the first page, and the work never gets done.

I agree with this.

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9