[darcs-users] darcs patch: don't get unrecorded if filelist is empty

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 02:22:38 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:46:49 +0400, Dmitry Kurochkin wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Benedikt Schmidt <beschmi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > In changes, the unrecorded patch is only needed to transform the
>> > filelist, so we do not need the unrecorded patch at all if the
>> > list is empty. The problem is that if an empty filelist is passed
>> > to get_unrecorded_in_files_unsorted, all files in the working
>> > directory are examined.
>>
>> I think it would be useful to put this into the patch description.
>
> Should I wait for an amended version?
>
> darcs send --reply could be a useful trick here
>
> (although if you're using the gmail web interface, getting those
> Message-IDs is a bit laborious)

If it's possible, but unintuitive, perhaps someone who uses the gmail
web UI could document the process on the wiki.  --in-reply-to helps
threading and has non-negligible benefits for people reviewing and
applying patches (particularly when a bundle is amended), so it's in our
interests to make this easier for people.

In mutt, you can get the message ID with "h" (show headers).  In Gnus
this is "t".  You can put "unignore message-id" in your .muttrc to
always show them.

You can search by message ID in Google's usenet UI, but I don't know if
they carry mailing lists (as gmane does):

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm={message-id}