[darcs-users] darcs repository corruption ("unapplicable" removeFile patch)

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 06:52:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Steven G. Johnson
<stevenj at ab-initio.mit.edu> wrote:
> I'm not completely sure how to edit the inventory to convince Darcs that the
> patch does not exist.  I tried just removing the lines that seem to
> correspond to this patch in one of the files in _darcs/inventories, and it
> *seems* to work.

We had a similar issue, and it was caused by "current" directory tampering.
As Eric said, it is now pretty much solved with hashed format.

A good way to fix it (even if it is a little frightening) is to edit
the patch directly, and remove the references to the fake
"Makefile.in" removal; then just run darcs repair on the repository.
You should do it on any copy of the repository, or just start again
with darcs get from the fixed one.

Anyway, both with fixing inventory or patch, if you:
1) run darcs check and it says that there are no errors.
2) check the resulting "working copy" (maybe with a diff with the old one)
3) restore all the other repositories with "darcs get"

You should be pretty sure that you have fixed the problem :).

Salvatore