[darcs-users] darcs patch: +custom hints file based on haskell_poli... (and 2 more)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 12:46:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Trent W. Buck<twb at cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 01:57:41AM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>> What is there to follow? There's no need to call bash for a trivial
>> executable invocation - I'm not even using conditionals or anything
>> reasonably fancy.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if, for example, there was no sh(1) in some
> Cygwin environment.  Basing even a trivial script on the template will
> improve homogeneity between scripts, avoid inexplicable failures
> resulting from that kind of weirdness.

How could cygwin not provide sh? That was the whole point of cygwin, I thought, to provide the basic utilities such as sh. If one has bash installed, how does one not have sh? But one might not have bash but have sh. One should use only what one needs; the hlint script doesn't need the lib script, so it doesn't call it. It doesn't need bash, so it doesn't call it.

I've also added a copyright header and brief explanation.

>>> Incidentally, looking only at ../src/ causes Setup.lhs and
>>> Distribution/*.lhs to be skipped.  Any reason just ../ wouldn't
>>> work?
>>
>> No. Should those files be looked at?
>
> I think they should (after all, hlint reports problems with them), but
> I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

I've recorded another patch generalizing the dir.

--
gwern