[darcs-users] Darcs Servers

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 11:23:52 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Also (and maybe Trent/Reinier can answer this), what about using
> things like jailkit?

Sure, but who wants to set up a separate jail for each repository?

By comparison, I understand that you can basically do "hg serve" in any
Mercurial repo, and it just listens on <whatever> port for HTTP POSTs to
apply to the current repository.  THAT is the kind of ease-of-use I
expect from Darcs.

Of course, I expect that "hg serve" process runs as you, in the
foreground, and only handles one repo.  So to get a daemon started by
sysvinit, handling multiple repositories, would be a little harder -- as
would adding an authentication layer[0].

I have no idea what the security implications of "hg serve" are.

[0] That is, only allowing some people to push.  That is orthogonal to
    allowing them to *only* push, and not e.g. rm -rf /.