[darcs-users] darcs convert

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Thu Aug 13 15:48:53 UTC 2009

Hi again,

Max Brown <max.e.brown at gmail.com> writes:
> Here is what I did in the end, and this seems to have worked:
> 1) I pulled patches until I got to the patch that was failing.
> 2) I tried to apply the patch manually to see why it was failing (it
> replaced a line, where the text to be replaced in the actual file was
> different from the text that the patch wanted to replace...? I don't
> know how I managed to create that confusion in the first place.)
This sounds like a typical case of pristine corruption. Plain (non-hashed)
repositories are very susceptible to this, since they cannot detect the problem
until they try to apply the resulting patch on a non-corrupt version of the
pristine (which could be months or years after the patch was first created, in
private repositories... even for branches of public repositories, discovering
this can take a rather long time). That's also why hashed repositories are
strongly encouraged.

> 3) I then edited the corresponding patch in _darcs/patches so that it
> would not fail (gunzip, then edit, then gzip).
> 4) I then did a 'darcs get' to get a new copy of the fixed repository.
> This now worked.
> 5) I did a 'darcs convert' on the new copy, which now worked.
Great! Thanks for sharing the notes on this. And also thanks for going through
the process.

> Question: What did you mean by "make a new hashed copy"? is this step 4?
Yes, that's what I meant.

Yours,
   Petr.