[darcs-users] darcs replace token complaint

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Fri Aug 14 01:35:08 UTC 2009

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> Just forwarding a comment from Gwern on the bugtracker:
> - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1373
> - http://bugs.darcs.net/msg7364
>
> | On a side note, does anyone know why this fails? I've read the manual but it
> | doesn't help much:
> |
> | [10:31 AM] 1.2Mb$ darcs replace
> | "https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/" "Wikipedia" Threats.page
> | darcs failed:  'https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/' is not a valid
> | token!
>
> It'd be good to work out what's going on.  I'm sure it's fairly straightforward,
> perhaps room for documentation tweaks?

Neither of the two (sigh) default tokenizers allow / within a token.
I really do think that the "darcs replace" in its current form is too
dangerous to use, because absolutely nothing has the exact lexical
structure assumed by it.  Well... I suppose /etc/passwd would be lexable
by darcs replace, but certainly not C or a CSV file, for example.