[darcs-users] darcs record is still too memory inefficient

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Aug 17 17:07:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 09:47:26 -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> During darcs record I noticed that darcs needed 1.6GB of memory just to give
> me the list of hunks and adds.  I typed 'a' to accept all and darcs was
> killed by windows when it reached about 2GB of memory usage.
>
> I could be mistaken, but I thought back in the darcs 1.0.x days David
> optimized darcs for this case and you could actually add as many files as
> you wanted without running out of memory.

Check out http://bugs.darcs.net/issue80, particularly
http://bugs.darcs.net/msg2981 in which David says we used to have
special case code for record which we lost in Darcs 2 for code
cleanliness.

If I understand correctly, David says that the real solution is to
implement chunky hunks http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1357

This complaint just came up on reddit yesterday.  I've added
a troubleshooting entry for it:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/Troubleshooting#darcs%20record-runs-out-of-memory

Meanwhile, I'd be very interested to hear about ways we can improve this
situation.  For example, I wonder if there is any way to get the
benefits of chunky hunks without actually having to change the repo
format?

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9