[darcs-users] Darcs Servers

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Mon Aug 17 18:58:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:09:56AM -0700, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
> In the past darcs has always been developed with the conceptual model that
> anyone who can push to your repository is trusted.  In other words, security
> is handled at a layer external to darcs.  Changing that assumption would
> take careful planning and consensus.  Not impossible, but not simple either
> :)

The problem is that scripts like contrib/darcs-shell suggests that you
can just give users a restricted shell and that will be secure. It's
based on my original git-shell script, which *is* secure, but just
porting to darcs makes it insecure, since in darcs it's possible to
modify the commit hooks via patches, so basically you still have full
shell access.