[darcs-users] Default Boring File is overly ambitious

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Aug 24 01:55:54 UTC 2009

Hello,

I was embarking on some darcs profiling on the linux kernel source.
And I received the following messages:
Skipping boring file drivers/infiniband/core
Skipping boring file drivers/memstick/core
Skipping boring file drivers/mmc/core
Skipping boring file drivers/usb/core
Skipping boring file net/core
Skipping boring file sound/aoa/core
Skipping boring file sound/core

Unfortunately, these directories have files:
Skipping 'drivers/infiniband/core/Makefile' ... couldn't add parent
directory 'drivers/infiniband/core' to repository.
Skipping 'drivers/infiniband/core/addr.c' ... couldn't add parent
directory 'drivers/infiniband/core' to repository.
Skipping 'drivers/infiniband/core/agent.c' ... couldn't add parent
directory 'drivers/infiniband/core' to repository.
Skipping 'drivers/infiniband/core/agent.h' ... couldn't add parent
directory 'drivers/infiniband/core' to repository.
Skipping 'drivers/infiniband/core/cache.c' ... couldn't add parent
directory 'drivers/infiniband/core' to repository.
Skipping 'drivers/infiniband/core/cm.c' ... couldn't add parent
directory 'drivers/infiniband/core' to repository.

I see in the boring file:
# core dumps

Is there anyway to fix this default so that core dumps are correctly
ignored but directories named core are not ignored?  I can't think of
anything as a regexp that would work.  I think we'd have to add
support for patterns that are applied conditionally based on the type.

I realize changing the default per-repository is easy, but I just
wondered if we could improve the default.

Jason