[darcs-users] darcs convert between with multiple branches

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Mon Aug 24 19:22:52 UTC 2009

Hi Lev,

On Monday 24 August 2009 19:03:57 you wrote:
> > Note that you get some of the benefits of darcs 2 without going
> > through this
> > process if you make sure that all your branches are "hashed". You
> > create a
> > hashed repository by passing the "--hashed" flag to get or init.
>
> Is there any documentation which goes over the benefits of full-on
> darcs-2 repo format vs. hashed?

I don't know particularly much about this. But as far as I understand, the
hashed repositories are safe against pristine corruption by applying text-
manipulating commands recursively and share some performance boosts with the
darcs 2 format (does Petr's work on hashed-storage work for hashed darcs 1
repos?).

The advantages of darcs 2 format with respect to the hashed darcs 1 format are
that conflicts are less likely to lead to intractable merges, and that
identical patches don't conflict. The latter is a mixed blessing however, as
it seems to cause the dreaded http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1014 .

Reinier