[darcs-users] filecache and making darcs faster

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Aug 26 13:43:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 14:30:00 +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > I think you can divide the problems and proposed solutions into five
> > broad categories.
>
> I think you left out the most important thing: We need a good way to
> make performance regression tests.

Yes, thanks for catching that.

As part of his GSoC work, Petr has released darcs-benchmark onto
hackage:
  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/darcs-benchmark
So all you have to do is to build a couple of versions of Darcs,
say Darcs-2.3 vs the current darcs darcs and tell darcs-benchmark
to go.  Darcs-benchmark also outputs memory use information.

More information here:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/Benchmarks

This is important to me because it means (a) we can start backing our
claims with hard data and (b) we can start asking for performance
patches to be accompanied with standard benchmark data.

Darcs-benchmarks more or less got the automation part down, now we
need to make it autonomous:
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1569
that is, running on some server somewhere without any human
intervention.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9