[darcs-users] Automated 'unpeeling' of merged repos? (was: darcs convert between with multiple branches)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Aug 26 14:32:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 13:36:42 -0700, Lev Lvovsky wrote:
> In the process of merging repositories for later "unpeeling" into
> separate branches (once the conversion is completed), is there any way
> to automate, or at least expedite the finding of patches which we don't
> want in our main repository (those which will be moved to non-production
> branches)?

Here are some tips from darcs help convert:

Due to this limitation, migrating a multi-branch project is a little
awkward.  Sorry!  Here is the recommended process:

 1. for each branch `foo', tag that branch with `foo-final';
 2. merge all branches together (--allow-conflicts may help);
 3. run `darcs optimize --reorder' on the result;
 4. run `darcs convert' to create a merged darcs-2 repository;
 5. re-create each branch by calling `darcs get --tag foo-final' on
    the darcs-2 repository; and finally
 6. use `darcs obliterate' to delete the foo-final tags.

Trent's been doing a lot of work recently on making darcs help
more helpful.  It seems to be paying off.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9