[darcs-users] Help with the wiki

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:33:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I wanted to use the wiki while I was offline.  It's great that
> darcsit makes this possible, but I ran into some problem areas.  Perhaps
> someone can help me?
>
> 1) When I wanted to edit a page locally, the text box that holds the page's
> markup was empty.  I opened the corresponding .page file in emacs and pasted
> the contents into the browser window and edited there.  This allowed me to
> see previews and just generally use it has a wiki.  But why do I have to
> bootstrap the editing process by copying out of the .page file?

You shouldn't have to. That sounds like a serious bug. Are you using a
up-to-date Gitit, or an odd browser, or something?

> 2) Once I had my local edits queued up and I wanted to share them, I
> couldn't figure out how to push them.  I (ab)used my patch review account to
> darcs.net to figure out where the wiki's repo is located and tried a push
> but I didn't have permission to modify the wiki repo so the push failed.
> Since I can apply patches from the web interface I don't really see the
> point of sending the patches to darcs-users so I avoided configuring
> sendmail or attaching the patch in my email client.  I ended up pasting my
> local version of the page into the darcs.net wiki and hitting submit.  Since
> I only had edited one page that was "okay" but suboptimal.
>
> How can get push access to the wiki and is there a fix for #1?  (maybe I
> should use scp to get a copy of the the wiki instead of darcs get?).
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

IIRC, you can't apply a .dpatch via the Gitit web interface. You can
edit, sure, but editing is deliberately more restricted than patches:
for example, there should be no way to change preferences (such as
hooks...) through the web interface, but this can easily be done in
patches. Since preferences are very dangerous, regular web users have
no access, but more trusted users with push access can do them.

--
gwern