[darcs-users] Help with the wiki

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Dec 3 18:38:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently I wanted to use the wiki while I was offline.  It's great that
> > darcsit makes this possible, but I ran into some problem areas.  Perhaps
> > someone can help me?
> >
> > 1) When I wanted to edit a page locally, the text box that holds the
> page's
> > markup was empty.  I opened the corresponding .page file in emacs and
> pasted
> > the contents into the browser window and edited there.  This allowed me
> > see previews and just generally use it has a wiki.  But why do I have to
> > bootstrap the editing process by copying out of the .page file?
>
> You shouldn't have to. That sounds like a serious bug. Are you using a
> up-to-date Gitit, or an odd browser, or something?

My gitit is:
 $ gitit --version
gitit version 0.6.6 +plugins

I installed it yesterday from hackage.  The one thing that may have confused
gitit is that when I first ran it, I forgot to tell it the config file so it
thought it was creating a new wiki.  Maybe I should get again and this time
start it with the right config file?  My browser is firefox 3.x.

> > 2) Once I had my local edits queued up and I wanted to share them, I
> > couldn't figure out how to push them.  I (ab)used my patch review account
> > darcs.net to figure out where the wiki's repo is located and tried a
> push
> > but I didn't have permission to modify the wiki repo so the push failed.
> > Since I can apply patches from the web interface I don't really see the
> > point of sending the patches to darcs-users so I avoided configuring
> > sendmail or attaching the patch in my email client.  I ended up pasting
> my
> > local version of the page into the darcs.net wiki and hitting submit.
> Since
> > I only had edited one page that was "okay" but suboptimal.
> >
> > How can get push access to the wiki and is there a fix for #1?  (maybe I
> > should use scp to get a copy of the the wiki instead of darcs get?).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jason
>
> IIRC, you can't apply a .dpatch via the Gitit web interface. You can
> edit, sure, but editing is deliberately more restricted than patches:
> for example, there should be no way to change preferences (such as
> hooks...) through the web interface, but this can easily be done in
> patches. Since preferences are very dangerous, regular web users have
> no access, but more trusted users with push access can do them.

Okay, maybe general push permission shouldn't be allowed, but I was hoping
I'm trusted enough in the darcs community that I could be given permissions.

Thanks,
Jason