[darcs-users] Help with the wiki

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 02:02:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Recently I wanted to use the wiki while I was offline.  It's great that
>> > darcsit makes this possible, but I ran into some problem areas.  Perhaps
>> > someone can help me?
>> >
>> > 1) When I wanted to edit a page locally, the text box that holds the
>> > page's
>> > markup was empty.  I opened the corresponding .page file in emacs and
>> > pasted
>> > the contents into the browser window and edited there.  This allowed me
>> > see previews and just generally use it has a wiki.  But why do I have to
>> > bootstrap the editing process by copying out of the .page file?
>>
>> You shouldn't have to. That sounds like a serious bug. Are you using a
>> up-to-date Gitit, or an odd browser, or something?
>
> My gitit is:
>  $ gitit --version
> gitit version 0.6.6 +plugins
>
> I installed it yesterday from hackage.  The one thing that may have confused
> gitit is that when I first ran it, I forgot to tell it the config file so it
> thought it was creating a new wiki.  Maybe I should get again and this time
> start it with the right config file?  My browser is firefox 3.x.

Hm, I'm not really sure what the issue is. If you had went ahead and
created a new page, then it would be easy to see whether Gitit was
operating on a new/empty wiki - you would just look in wikidata/ and
see whether your new file was there. So maybe try that if restarting
the whole thing is too time-consuming.

--
gwern