[darcs-users] Type-safe diff for families of datatypes

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Dec 10 21:06:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Marnix Klooster <marnix.klooster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 09-12-09 22:45, Jason Dagit wrote:
>
>  Someone just pointed this out to me today:
>> *Type-safe diff for families of datatypes
>>

> [snip]
>

>  http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1596614.1596624
>>

> Through this link the WGP 2009 (
> http://wiki.portal.chalmers.se/cse/pmwiki.php/WGP09/WGP09) 12-page paper
> is only available for ACM Digital Library subscribers.  I cannot seem to
> find a publically available version.
>
> Note that there is a PDF by Andres Löh, "Generic diff", containing 39
> slides (but strangely called "paper") freely availabe through
> http://people.cs.uu.nl/andres/GDiff.html .

I suspect that is the same paper.  Possibly there were refinements in the
one that appears in the conference proceedings, but it looks like that link
was posted by the authors to help share their work.

> Also note that Eelco Lempsink's master thesis "Generic type-safe diff and
> patch for families of datatypes" is not publically available from
> http://www.cs.uu.nl/education/scripties/scriptie.php?SID=INF/SCR-2008-089.

That's unfortunate.  My university stores all their theses on the library
archives website under the author's chosen copyright.  I went with creative
commons.  I hope more university start doing that.

I've generally had good luck with citeseer / citeulike for finding pdf
copies of papers.

I spoke with Ganesh about the type-safe diff paper a bit over IRC.  He was
able to attend the talk for the paper.  He said something along the lines
that the diff is mainly for tree structured data.  Therefore it isn't
directly applicable to darcs (though, it could be in the future).

Finally, Knuth has written several open letters about the state of
accessibility to published research in the CS academic community.  I think
things are getting better, but we have a long ways to go.  If this interests
you, I recommend you look up his arguments and see if you can get involved.

Jason