[darcs-users] A comparison of Darcs and Git

Samuel Hym samuel.hym at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 21:23:20 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I've been using darcs for quite some time but I decided this year to give
git a go, partly because of the buzz around it but mostly because I must
interact with subversion repos and that the git interface for svn is quite
neat.
I’m still trying to understand the real difference, apart from the culture
of the authors (OS developers vs abstract scientists), since this is a
sugar-level detail.
I watched the video http://projects.haskell.org/camp/unique about this
matter but it doesn't really answer: in darcs and camp, you assume by
default that you will want to reorder patches, somehow, while in git, you
don't (which might turn out helpful when you have to interact with silly old
svn). But that's a detail. I would be interested to see actual examples
where darcs/camp can avoid conflicts because it's smarter, or even by simply
smartly cherry-picking in a big repo, while git would force you to select
all patches by hand (still, in that case, that would imply that a rather
small script could manage rebasing in git by selecting proper consistent
sets of patches, if the cherry-picking is not intrinsically smarter in
camp).

Any clue to help me understand?
[And sorry to bring the probably ever asked question of comparison with the
_other_.]

Best regards,
Samuel Hym