[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing volunteers needed

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Dec 22 17:12:06 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

As you may have noticed recently, we are going to freeze Darcs the 2.4
release by end of this month.  Darcs 2.4 is pretty exciting.  Now, it's
NOT the magical super-fast Darcs we would all love to see; not all
our problems have been solved yet, but is definitely progress:

We think that Darcs 2.4 is faster for repository-local operations such
as darcs record.  For our release announcement, we would like to
demonstrate this fact with some hard numbers, but for this, we need your
help!

We need to at least three volunteers to help us produce benchmarks
comparing Darcs 2.3.1 and the upcoming Darcs 2.4 before the end of
January.

The work will essentially consist of running some benchmarking software
which we will provide.  We'll also request new benchmarks from time to
time as we refine the process.

So could I get a benchmarking volunteer for each of these platforms?
It would be extremely helpful if you could respond by the end of this
week :-)

 - MacOS X
 - Linux
 - Windows