[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing volunteers needed

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Dec 23 02:01:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Nathan Gray <kolibrie at graystudios.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 05:12:06PM +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
>> So could I get a benchmarking volunteer for each of these platforms?
>> It would be extremely helpful if you could respond by the end of this
>> week :-)
>>
>>  - MacOS X
>>  - Linux
>>  - Windows
>
> I can benchmark on Linux (debian on i686).
>
> I would also like to see darcs1 in the comparison.  We have not
> upgraded yet because we have large repos.  It would be nice to
> know if darcs 2.4 is fast enough compared to darcs1 for us to
> consider upgrading.

Which is more important to helping you make the decision:
1) darcs 1.x binary vs. darcs 2.4 binary on a darcs-1 formatted repo; OR
2) darcs 2.4 binary comparing darcs-1 format speed to darcs-2 format speed?

I suspect that #2 will be included but #1 is more work for
benchmarkers (only because darcs 1.x is pre-cabal and thus harder to
build for many people).  It valuable to know up front which you are
expecting so we can plan for it in the benchmark.

Thanks,
Jason