[darcs-users] darcs needs text pkg, which fails to build on GHC 6.8

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Dec 24 08:19:18 UTC 2009

Bryan is right.

I still don't understand why we require libicu.  When Eric asked if it would
be a problem for windows only Reinier replied:
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2009-November/022166.html

> > +  extra-libraries:  icuuc
> > > +
> >
> > How portable a change is this?  On my Mac, I saw that I had a libicucore
> > and not a libicuuc.  MacPorts says it has a libicu package.  Do we just
> > get used to requiring people to install that like they might libz?
>
> ICU is quickly becoming a core library that's present almost anywhere, much
> like libz. It is maintained by IBM afaik. I don't expect any portability
> problems from it.

The versions I could find for windows are here:
http://download.icu-project.org/files/icu4c/4.2.1/icu4c-4_2_1-Win32-msvc9.zip
http://download.icu-project.org/files/icu4c/4.2.1/icu4c-4_2_1-Win64-msvc9.zip

Those are compiled with mscv9 instead of gcc.  Will this create problems?
Why do windows users have to become second class again?  As in, I thought we
had an install story for them: Install Haskell Platform, cabal install
darcs.  Done.  Now it involves some messy details about getting the right
copy (32bit vs. 64bit) of an external library.  And it doesn't come with an
installer!

Here is a link to the license:
http://source.icu-project.org/repos/icu/icu/trunk/license.html

Is it GPL compatible?  If so then if we are going to make darcs require it
on windows we should start packaging the library with darcs.  If we don't
distribute it with darcs itself then can we handle it like zlib where we
depend on a hackage package that _provides_ the library on the platforms for
which it doesn't exist?  I see that hackage has text-icu but that package
does not provide the library.  Instead, it assumes it exists (I checked the
tarball on hackage).

What does libicu provide that we care about?

Please rollback this patch until we resolve the issue of how to distribute
libicu to our users.

Thanks,
Jason