[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing (stage 0)

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Fri Dec 25 11:17:45 UTC 2009

Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, my computer locked up during my first pass through the
> benchmarks so I don't have the exact commands handy.  The above is
> from and I think it should be close.

It might be worth playing with the "ulimit" shell builtin, to restrict
e.g. the amount of memory a single Darcs process can acquire.  IME 2.6
Linux kernels, at least, will effectively "lock up"[0] when they start
swapping hard, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if Darcs benchmarks can
trigger this behaviour.

[0] i.e. be too stressed to respond to "ssh root at foo reboot" before the
    SSH client times out.