[darcs-users] some darcs comments from Johan Tibell

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Dec 26 09:13:29 UTC 2009

Trent W. Buck writes:
 > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > That's not what he means.  He's talking about using the index, eg.
 > >
 > > $ gnuclient a.h a.c     # change prototype and implementation of foo
 > > $ git add a.h a.c
 > > $ gnuclient b.c         # update calls to foo
 > > $ git add b.c
 > > $ git commit -m "Improve foo and update callers."
 >
 > Wouldn't that make it rather like
 >
 >     edit a.h a.c
 >     darcs rec -am STAGING a.h a.c
 >     edit b.c
 >     darcs ame -a b.c <<<y
 >     darcs ame -m 'Improve foo and update callers.' <<<yd

"Like", yes.  I personally don't know why (some) people like this
feature so much, although I use it myself a fair amount after adding a
new file, so you'd really need to ask him.  My guess is that the
difference between this and amend commit (which git also has) is that
instead of changes being split between multiple commits, they're
grouped in one place and so are easy to display with git status or git
diff.