[darcs-users] my work in progress

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Dec 26 16:52:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Reinier Lamers wrote:

> Op dinsdag 22 december 2009 23:03 schreef Ganesh Sittampalam:
>>
>> - issue121 "wish: amend-record --ask-deps"
>
> This is not on our to-be-fixed-for-2.4 list (
> http://bugs.darcs.net/issue?@columns=title,id,activity,status,assignedto&@sort=activity&@group=priority&@filter=topic,status&@pagesize=50&@startwith=0&topic=34&status=-1,1,2,3,4,5,6,16,17&@dispname=Open2.4
> ).

Good point (I actually thought it was on the 2.4 list, but it seems it
only had a brief visit to it around the time of the last sprint).
Nonetheless, is there any reason not to get it in for 2.4?

>> - interactive patch editing
>>
>> I'm not sure we ever really finished the design of the user interface. We
>> probably should before 2.4...
>
> We tried discussing this a number of times. I haven't tried this feature out
> yet. It's really something we should have, but it's also easy to do it wrong.
> If we can't get some more people to try it out and say if they consider this
> a release quality UI, I'm afraid we should hold it until 2.5.

Sounds reasonable, though in that case we'd have to disable the current
implementation, at least on the release branch.

>> - darcs rebase (also known as transplant)
>>
>> I've got
>> quite a long way with the basic infrastructure for it, to the point that I
>> can use it myself to rebase patches, though it's not exactly user friendly
>> yet :-)
>
> Exciting to hear! I'm interested in hearing the UI design. I haven't studied
> the darcs rebase plans to any depth, but I'd say we need a UI that makes hairy
> things possible while making the senseful things the easiest.

Agreed. Just need to figure out how to do that :-)

Ganesh