[darcs-users] some darcs comments from Johan Tibell

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 23:29:59 UTC 2009

On 28/12/09 18:29, Eric Kow wrote:

> I recommend just trying this to see how it feels.  So I think what makes
> --lazy work well in practice is that in practice, one does not actually
> consult the patches that are far back in history very often.  If they
> do, it causes some fetching but only once.  So I don't think this sort
> of thing really constitutes high variability:
>
>    fast fast fast fast SLOW fast fast fast

If the patches are in your local cache, is there any reason for the SLOW
case at all?  Why doesn't darcs just use the patches from the cache,
instead of linking them into _darcs/patches and wasting an inode?  Is it
to avoid the extra lookup?  In which case, perhaps looking in the cache
*first* might be better?

Cheers,
	Simon