[darcs-users] fundraising

Ravi Nanavati ravi at bluespec.com
Tue Feb 3 02:52:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think one of the best things might be to hire students for a summer,
> like in Google's Summers of Code. It would be really elegant I think
> if we could reuse an existing process - perhaps we could go to Google
> or Jane Street and say "here's $4000 for a Darcs-only project (if any
> show up)"? Kind of like a scholarship or endowment.
>
> It's not like we couldn't easily pull together a long list of things
> to do - "rewrite our test scripts in Language.Sh/ShSh",  "make our
> mmap support do awesome things" etc.
>
> Given how many current darcs developers *are* students, seems like a
> good idea to me. Not that I have any idea who to contact in Google or
> Jane Street.

At Jane Street I'd imagine Yaron Minsky is the right person to
contact. I've met him a few times, so I'd be willing to approach him
about the topic (though if someone who's an actual darcs developer or
more frequent darcs user feels comfortable doing it, that's probably
better). As I recall, Jane Street has recently broadened the focus of
their summer projects to support functional programming in general,
rather than just OCaml, so I'd imagine there's a good chance they'd be
amenable to the idea.

 - Ravi Nanavati