[darcs-users] managing change

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Feb 3 14:32:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

These sorts of emails take me forever to write, so I'm just going to
send the first bit and work on the rest later.

I'm a little paranoid that my last message didn't stress quite the right
things, so let me try restating a couple of points to be safe :-)

(1) Change is good.  I look forward to seeing darcs change, and the
    sooner the better.  My intention is not to slow down change, but
    to make sure it happens in a controlled fashion (unfortunately, my
    attempts at doing this have the side-effect of slowing change down)

(2) I don't care about sunsets.  The sunset procedure is only a tool for
    managing change.  If a better tool exists (a candidate being an
    increased reliance on automated tests) then of course we should
    use it!

Now on to the details:

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 00:09:49 +0100, Petr Rockai wrote:
> > Yep! If I may clarify my position, to avoid future doubt:
> I'm wondering, does this mean yes, will require sunset procedure?

Yes, unless we come to a new agreement about how we're going to manage
change.

[which is the rest of the email]

However it looks, I'm really not trying to block your work, for
caution's sake or otherwise.  We move forward, but we try to do it in a
sensible way.  Now hopefully in the rest of the message, I could think
more about this sensible way...

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9