[darcs-users] cabal install on windows fails (no diff executable)

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 15:31:58 UTC 2009

Trying to "cabal install" the HEAD on a vanilla Windows machine now gives:

Z:\judah\Downloads\repos\darcs.net>cabal install --user
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring darcs-2.2.0...
setup.exe: user error (Could not find diff executable! Need one of
gdiff, gnudiff or diff.)
darcs-2.2.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1

I'm guessing it's due to the following patch:

Wed Jan 28 06:11:51 PST 2009  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Cabal: Look around for diff and sendmail properly.

Previously, it was possible to "cabal install" on Windows without any
prerequisites other than ghc+cabal, and get a darcs which was
feature-reduced but still useful.  ("darcs whatsnew" has always worked
fine for me in the past...)  Any chance we could make the lack of diff
be a warning instead of an error?

Thanks,
-Judah