[darcs-users] fundraising

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Tue Feb 3 22:37:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Gwern Branwen wrote:

> I think one of the best things might be to hire students for a summer,
> like in Google's Summers of Code. It would be really elegant I think
> if we could reuse an existing process - perhaps we could go to Google
> or Jane Street and say "here's $4000 for a Darcs-only project (if any
> show up)"? Kind of like a scholarship or endowment.

I think a summer project would be a great idea, but I question whether it
would make sense (for them) for Google or Jane St to help out. A large
portion of the cost of running this kind of project for them is probably
admin overhead, and doing something different to everything else will just
increase their overheads.

On the other hand, perhaps we can run it ourselves without that much
effort, because we are the people who want the work done and will
understand what's worth doing and whether it's been done right, so there's
much less communication overhead than there would be with central
administration. The only question I can see is whether there are any legal
issues for us in doing so.

Ganesh