[darcs-users] cabal install on windows fails (no diff executable)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 01:17:39 UTC 2009

Judah Jacobson <judah.jacobson at gmail.com> writes:

> Previously, it was possible to "cabal install" on Windows without any
> prerequisites other than ghc+cabal, and get a darcs which was
> feature-reduced but still useful.  ("darcs whatsnew" has always worked
> fine for me in the past...)  Any chance we could make the lack of diff
> be a warning instead of an error?

On Debian, packages are built using

    ./configure --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail

which means that Darcs can be compiled on a system without an MTA
(e.g. a chroot), but users that install it will still be able to use
"darcs send", as all Debian MTAs are required to provide the
/usr/sbin/sendmail interface.  (I don't know what happens if you try to
use "darcs send" on Debian without an MTA installed.)

Is it possible for Windows binaries to be compiled to assume diff is in
some standard place, even if it isn't installed at compile time?

If not, +1 for making it a warning, not an error, for diff to not be in
%PATH% at compile time.