[darcs-users] darcs patch: Cabal: Do not make absence of a diff tool fatal.

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 01:28:10 UTC 2009

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> writes:

> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 16:58:05 +0100, Petr Rockai wrote:
>>> Tue Feb  3 16:56:56 CET 2009  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
>>>   * Cabal: Do not make absence of a diff tool fatal.
>>
>> Applied, thanks!  (what were we doing before it started failing?)
> Hardcoding "diff". Actually, we should use "diff" instead of false and
> "/sbin/sendmail" instead of false for sendmail.

The latter will not work on any system I know of.  AFAIK, "modern"
systems use /usr/sbin/sendmail and "legacy" systems use /usr/lib/sendmail.

> These are the sensible defaults that are likely to work even if the
> compiled binary goes elsewhere.

+1; that's a resonable solution (modulo /usr/sbin/sendmail).

> It would also make sense to move these
> checks to the runtime. It's pretty stupid to do them at compile
> time. *cough* Maybe I should just do that...

+2 for that; please file a wishlist bug if you don't have time to do it
yourself right now.  That will ensure it isn't forgotten about.