[darcs-users] darcs patch: Cabal: Do not make absence of a diff too... (and 1 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Feb 4 15:53:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:18:03 +0100, Petr Rockai wrote:
> this is the promised runtime check for sendmail and diff.

These seem like a good idea, but maybe I should check with the list
first to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Old way:
  when building, autoconf/cabal looks around for what sendmail and diff
  program you use, and then hard-codes this into darcs (you can override
  this on runtime with --sendmail-cmd, --diff-cmd as needed).  It has a
  sequence of preferences it goes with, for example, gdiff before
  gnudiff before gdiff

New way:
   darcs checks for these programs on run time, using the same sequence
   of preferences.

One advantage seems to be that you can compile darcs anywhere, and it
would have a predictable behaviour on how it looks for sendmail and
diff.

Any disadvantages of the new way?  One potential disadvantage is that
you now lose the ability to hard-code into your darcs the version of
sendmail/diff you're using, but I suppose if you really wanted to do
that, you could just stick a --sendmail-cmd and --diff-cmd in your
preferences.

Anyway, I'll wait a little while, probably less than a day to see
if anybody shouts.  If nobody shouts, I'll just apply this, because
it seems pretty sensible.