[darcs-users] Fwd: Towards a conflict-free revision control system.

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Feb 4 17:10:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:05:39PM +0100, Jean-Philippe Bernardy wrote:

> Say, maybe there is a conflict "somewhere" in the tree, but I don't
> care about it for the moment: I don't
> think it's any of the VC system responsibility to prevent me to record
> patches, etc.

darcs has never prevented you from recording a patch.

> Maybe I want to rollback a patch made some time ago, and that would
> introduce conflicts...

It sounds like you are conflating "conflict" and "dependency".
Two patches in parallel may conflict with each other. With two patches
in series, the later one may depend on the earlier one.

> I want to be able to do it: maybe the conflicts introduced are not
> important, or easy to fix.

I think you could do this in a darcs-like system, by merging "A B"
with "A A-inverse".

Thanks
Ian