[darcs-users] Suggestion: Compile Setup for the Cabal build

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Wed Feb 4 18:50:11 UTC 2009

Hello,

The tn9 buildbot slave is an old machine with limited memory and I just
observed it thrashing (paging/swapping) its way through runghc Setup
configure + build. I haven't measured anything, but I recently observed a
similar case when building a package for this machine using runghc Setup.

So, if it is not too much trouble, I would suggest compiling Setup (ghc --make
Setup.hs -o Setup -O or some such) and then run the binary for the configure
and build. For tn9, I am sure that several minues of elapse time will be
saved. And, generally, it seems more economic to do it in this manner.

If you wish me to change this myself, I'll do that, but it seems better to
arrange this with whomever is working in this spot already to avoid stepping
on toes needlessly.

Thanks and best regards
Thorkil