[darcs-users] darcs patch: Resolve issue1093: warn about ugly?patch... (and 1 more)

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Feb 4 21:14:49 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
> > On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 19:56:57 +0200, Dan Pascu wrote:
> >> I agree. It's an absolute NO to impose someone's view on style on
> >> everybody else.
> >
> > Okay, that's three comments, all pointing in the same direction.
> > Thanks all!
>
> Just a final note: the patch does not *impose* my style on anyone,
> except insofar as it issues a warning if you use another style.

You can say that you do not enforce it, but you certainly impose it.
Having someone/something constantly remind you that some preference or
choice you make is a bad thing and you should use someone else's
alternative instead is an imposition. Think of it the other way around.
If someone else would have proposed a patch that added a style that was
totally opposed to yours and it was accepted, how would you feel to get a
warning with every record you attempt just because you prefer a different
style? This style checking is not the job of darcs, unless the user
explicitly asks for some checks to be performed.

> Darcs will still happily record and otherwise operate on patches with
> names in a different style.

And annoy the hell out of anyone who prefers not to add a dot at the end
for example.

--
Dan