[darcs-users] Applying formal descriptions to files

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 14:53:14 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm not familiar with this, but you guys who did
computer science surely are, since I've seen it used
a lot (like, say, in Haskell98 report). If I
understand properly, a 'metasyntax' allows one to
describe unambiguously the structure of a file
(please correct me if I'm wrong). I see this, for
instance, among many I found in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth_syntax_notation

(I think it looks like the one used in Haskell98,
although with small diferences.)

What if we had the option to attach such kind of
descriptions (can I call them "descriptions"?) to
files under darcs control? If there exists a
consolidated and popular such metasyntax (is
there?), darcs could use it to "understand" the
file, and remember changes in a structured way.

Does that make sense for someone who, unlike me,
do understand computer science?

Best,
Maurício