[darcs-users] The bug tracker need-info status and need-investigation issues

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Sat Feb 7 08:33:51 UTC 2009

Hello Trent,

I noticed that you have changed the description of the need-info status on
http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/BugTrackerIssueManagement from

> Additional information is needed for the issue. In some cases, the original
reporter of the issue is requested to supply additional information, but it
could also be more open questions that need answering. In particular, issues
that are wishes or requests for new features belong to this state, as long as
it has not been decided whether to actually carry out the desired change. In
any case, the nature of the missing information must be clear from one or
more messages added to the issue. In some cases, it may make sense to assign
the issue to some specific person.

> This bug can't be addressed until more information is provided by the
submitter. The bug will be closed if the submitter doesn't provide more
information in a reasonable (few months) timeframe. This is for bugs like `It
doesn't work'. What doesn't work?

Thus narrowing the set of issues to be given this status. In particular, those
issues that I would designate "need investigation, not necessarily by the
original reporter" now appear to be home-less. In this group, I would include
issues that need some clear but significant work to be done, to investigate a
performance problem, for example. And also the wishlist issues that we need
to decide on, whether to support them or not.

Possible statuses for these issues are:

1. The need-info status, as before, but then we need to change the description
of that status.
2. The need-volunteer status, again some change of the status description is
needed.
3. A new need-investigation status.
4. The chatting status.

The last possibility is one that I would try to avoid, but it is perhaps only
the issue manager that gets affected by this, I cannot say. And, there could
be additional possibilities, of course.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Thanks and best regards
Thorkil