[darcs-users] The bug tracker need-info status and need-investigation issues

trentbuck at gmail.com trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 12:26:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:33:51AM +0100, Thorkil Naur wrote:
> I noticed that you have changed the description of the need-info
> status on http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/BugTrackerIssueManagement

Argh, sorry; I should have mentioned this earlier.  A couple of weeks
ago I started "cleaning up" the BTS documentation on the wiki, only to
find that most of what I was writing was already covered on another
page.  Aaaand then I probably wandered off to get dinner and forgot
all about it.  If you want to just back out the changes I made, that's
fine with me.

> Thus narrowing the set of issues to be given [the need-info]
> status. In particular, those issues that I would designate "need
> investigation, not necessarily by the original reporter" now appear
> to be home-less. In this group, I would include issues that need
> some clear but significant work to be done, to investigate a
> performance problem, for example. And also the wishlist issues that
> we need to decide on, whether to support them or not.
>
> Possible statuses for these issues are:
>
> 1. The need-info status, as before, but then we need to change the description
> of that status.
> 2. The need-volunteer status, again some change of the status description is
> needed.
> 3. A new need-investigation status.
> 4. The chatting status.

I would favour either (1) or (2), with a mild preference for (2) --
IIRC that was my intent when I made the change.

> The last possibility is one that I would try to avoid, but it is
> perhaps only the issue manager that gets affected by this, I cannot
> say. And, there could be additional possibilities, of course.

Agreed.