[darcs-users] darcs patch: configuring author spelling variations w... (and 3 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 06:05:29 UTC 2009

Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> writes:

> Sat Feb  7 14:13:21 PST 2009  Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com>
>   * canonical authors may be defined in an .authorspellings file
>   Example:
>
>   Joe Blogg <a at b.c>
>   -- authors containing d at e.f or d at g.h or matching just "sue" are Sue Bragg
>   Sue Bragg <d at e.f>, d at g.h, ^sue$

It feels a bit garish to me, to call this file author *spellings*.
Could we just call it _authors or .authors?  Actually, the convention of
having a file "AUTHORS" that lists prominent contributors exists, but
I'm not sure it's appropriate for the use you have above.

Come to think of it, maybe "aliases" is a better name.
I also think this information is better stored within _darcs/ rather
than as another top-level file.

Other than that, +1 for the sentiment, especially as it gets rid of an
intermediary executable (which cabal has trouble with).